The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act (Clery Act) is a federal mandate requiring all institutions of higher education (IHEs) that participate in the federal student financial aid program to disclose information about crime on their campuses and in the surrounding communities. The Clery Act affects all public and private IHEs that receive federal financial aid and is enforced by the U.S. Department of Education (ED). Campuses that fail to comply with the act can be penalized with large fines (up to $55,907 per fine) and may be suspended from participating in the federal financial aid program.
Compliance with the Clery Act
The U.S. Department of Education created The Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting to present step-by-step procedures, examples, and references for higher education institutions to follow in meeting the campus safety and security requirements of the amended Higher Education Act of 1965.
Clery Act Requirements
The requirements fall into three categories based on the configuration of an institution. UNCG is mandated to:
- Collect, classify, and count crime reports and statistics related to crime.
- Issue timely warning notifications for Clery crimes that represent an ongoing threat to the safety of students or employees, or emergency alert notifications upon confirmation of a significant emergency or dangerous situation involving an immediate threat to the health or safety of students or employees.
- Publish an Annual Security and Fire Safety Report containing safety and security-related policy statements and crime statistics and distribute it to all current students and employees and prospective students and employees about the availability of the report. This report will also include fire safety information and fire statistics related to on-campus student housing facilities.
- Submit crime statistics to the US Department of Education annually.
- Maintain a daily crime and fire log of alleged criminal incidents and residential fires occuring in Clery Geography.